St. Matthews Police Arrest Murphy’s Camera Thief After Chase



Rodney Hickman faces multiple charges after escaping from the St. Matthews Police Department during questioning and leading police in pursuit of a stolen car.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – According to several arrest quotes, Rodney Hickman, 18, faces multiple charges after stealing cameras at Murphy’s Camera, leading the police in a chase in a stolen car, then escaping the St. Matthews Police Department (SMPD) establishment.

Murphy’s Camera in St. Matthews reported to police that Hickman was caught in the act of surveillance stealing high-quality cameras for consecutive days. Hickman left the scene on both days in a 2021 Nissan Sentra.

The local camera store sent tapes of Hickman and the car to the police.

The quote indicates that an officer saw Hickman and the Sentra traveling on Breckenridge Lane on August 5. As the officer tried to stop him, Hickman began to flee from the police.

Hickman traveled at high speed and squeezed in and out of cars in no-passing lanes as the chase continued. He then ran at a red light at the intersection of Browns Lane and Kresge Way hitting the median.

With the car deactivated, Hickman got out of the car and turned to the pursuing officers as he reached for his belt to draw a gun, the quote says.

SMPD said Hickman was taken into custody shortly after entering and attempting to exit nearby Brown Park.

While in custody, an unknown sum of money and a bag containing a substance believed to be narcotics were found on Hickman. Police then searched the car, which was found to have been stolen from Coyle Nissan in Clarksville. Inside, officers found a loaded assault rifle and a handgun with an extended magazine.

A K-9 unit from the Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) was called to the scene to conduct a sweep of Brown Park. The unit located another handgun that was thrown by the suspect, according to the quote.

Hickman was then transported to the St. Matthews Police Department for questioning. While in an interview room, Hickman was seen removing himself from the handcuffs and leaving the interview room.

Surveillance video shows Hickman leaving the facility undetected.

Officers immediately began searching the area for Hickman and nearly 30 minutes later a citizen provided Hickman’s location. He was returned to the facility without further incident.

Hickman is charged with two counts of police flight, reckless driving, driving without a license, recovering stolen property from state property, theft by illegal taking, trafficking in a substance controlled, tampering with physical evidence and leaking an establishment.

He is currently being held at the Louisville Metro Correctional Service on a $ 10,000 cash bond.

â–ºMake it easy for yourself to update with more stories like this. Download the WHAS11 News app now. For Apple or Android users.

Do you have a tip? E-mail [email protected], visit our Facebook page or Twitter feed.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.